Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 07:12:26 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNEL PANICS in 2.2.7-RELEASE server

>Below is a dump of the kernel symbols around that address per your request.
>Look like the offending function is _sosend.

   Yes, that's exactly what I'd expect in the case of running out of mbuf
clusters. Try doing a

options "NMBCLUSTERS=10000"

   ...that should fix the problem.

>You may be right about mbuf clusters, as the kernel is simply GENERIC with
>all the non-essentials commented out.  What kernel tweaks would you
>recommend to accomodate a high-bandwidth packet-passing system?  It's an
>audio server that simply forwards encoded audio streams to potentially
>thousands of UDP and TCP client connections.  It doesn't host users or do
>much else.
>
>I wonder if the tweaks we've used for some of our BSDI news servers would
>work.  They use:
>
>maxusers        512
>options         "CHILD_MAX=512"
>options         "OPEN_MAX=1024"
>options         "NMBCLUSTERS=16384"
>options         "TCBHASHSIZE=2048"
>options         AHC_TAGENABLE

   Those numbers might be a bit high (especially maxusers) without moving
the kernel virtual start address down another 256MB (i.e. you may run out
of kernel VM).

-DG

David Greenman