Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 01:22:32 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Tor Egge <Tor.Egge@idi.ntnu.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

Tor Egg writes:

> David Kelly writes:
> > So this time I kicked off bonnie and got
> >
> >  51 pci irq9	(Adaptec 2940)
> >  21 fdc0 irq6
> >  blks 5245	(sd0, "SEAGATE ST32550N 0021")
> >
> > Processing EVEVEVEEVEVVVVEVVVVVEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV done.
> >
> > The V's were in the "Reading intelligently..." phase.
>
> I have similar experiences when iozone is running in the background.
> MB is ASUS P65UP5. AHA2940 and AHA2940UW scsi controllers.

And my MB is an Asus P6NP5, and early 2940. Changed out floppies (disk,
not drive) and got essentially the same results. The problem seems to
be in the writing. A disk formatted with errors reported verifies mostly
the same errors.

Keep the SCSI traffic down and there are no errors writing.

> Using fdformat gives the following output:
>
> 	Format 1440K floppy `/dev/rfd0.1440'? (y/n): y
> 	Processing VVVVVEVVVVVVEVVVVVVVEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV done.
>
> with errors as:
>
> fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 420 of 414-431 (ST0 44<abnrml,top_head> ST1 4<sec_not_fnd> ST2 0 cyl 11 hd 1 sec 7)
>
> Aborting iozone and running fdformat -v (only verify) reproduces the
> same errors, indicating that bad contents was written to some of the
> sector headers on the disk during the format operation.

Yup, same here.

> with no scsi bus traffic, I was able to run fdformat 10 times in a row
> without encountering any errors.

Me too.

> Disabling interrupts in fd_cmd and fd_read_status did not help. This
> indicates that `busy waiting' will not help.
>
> It looks very much like a DMA conflict or starvation.

These are possibly interesting components in my kernel config:

options AHC_TAGENABLE
options AHC_SCBPAGING_ENABLE
options AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO

options         "AUTO_EOI_1"
#options        "AUTO_EOI_2"

Time to try turning things on and off now that a reliable way to randomly
break the floppy has been discovered.

A Gateway Pentium 133 at work with a 2940AU (the 7860 model) with lower
performance disk drives couldn't be coaxed to fail at all this afternoon.
Any suggestions toward identifying FDC's with FIFO's? Preferably without
taking something apart?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net