Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:33:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Guy Silliman <gws@eclipse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: invalid format! HELP!!!!

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Guy Silliman wrote:

> Hello..
>   Been a while since I needed help... but this one is really hitting
> hard.  Over the last 24hours I notice my 2.1.5 box halting with some kind
> of error trap that brings up the high intensity white type and attempts a
> reboot (I say attempts cause my AMD 5x86 chip is not handling the reboot
> signal since the get-go).
>
>   Well, evidently the problem esculated itself, see now at boot time, I
> get an error when fbsd first attempts to read the boot drive for the
> kernel.  It says "invalid format!" and then tries again and again...

Looks like your disk is corrupted.  get & make the fixit image, boot the
install floppy, select 'fixit', and cross over to the fixit floppy.  mount
/ and /var, then look at /var/log/messages and see if you can find any
specific errors.

What kind of disks are in this machine?  Do you do 'shutdown' before
shutting off the machine?