Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 15:23:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <panariti@mediaone.net>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5R and explicit broadcast routes

>>>>> "Garrett" == Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

Garrett> <<On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:51:34 -0500 (EST), "David
Garrett> A. Panariti" <panariti@mediaone.net> said:
>> Unfortunately, all I have is a binary for the app, so I can't
>> figure out what they are doing.  I don't even know if making a TCP
>> connection to 255.255.255.255 is legal.

Garrett> It is utterly, 100% bogus.
That was my suspicion.

>> Does anyone know where this explicit broadcast route is being
>> added, and why? Is there a knob to turn it off?

Garrett> The route is created automatically in order to speed up
Garrett> recognition of broadcast addresses on machines with many
Garrett> interfaces.

Where is it created and will it break things if I comment it out?
This binary is my VPN to work and it is very important that it works
for me.

thanks,

davep