Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:46:08 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        MICHAEL_HEITMEIER@HP-Germany-om12.om.hp.com
Cc:        andyo@prime.net.ua, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: After power failure X does not start

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 10:17:02AM +0200, MICHAEL_HEITMEIER@HP-Germany-om12.om.hp.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I expected, no X process after booting!
> If you have any other ideas please let me know. What I have not tried yet
> is reinstalling X, or is that too much of a M$ concept...? :-)

YES!!! DO NOT REINSTALL!!! In FreeBSD you never reinstall anything, you
fix it :)

Check /tmp and /var/tmp for files that look like X locks or struff like that.
If you want to be shure boot single user (not really necessary) and do:

$ cd /tmp
$ rm -rf *
$ rm -rf .[A-Za-z]*

DO NOT rm -rf .* as this includes . and .. and will certainly thrash your
filesytem.

regards,

-Oscar

--