Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 00:28:06 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Paul Herman <pherman@element-5.de>
Cc:        Dirk Nerling <Dirk.Nerling@pdv.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can somebody explain me the followings dial / never disconnects?

Paul Herman writes:
>Hi Dirk,
>
>> 1. My home box never disconnect although I have no real IP connection =
(like
>> telnet, ftp, http and so on). The tcpdump have the following entries:
>> =

>> 11:57:30.891509 ID-066 LCP: Echo-Request, Magic-Number=3D273789161
>>                          0942 000c 1051 b0e9 ff01 1b4d
>
>I had the same exact problem.  i4b measuers "idleness" using an interrup=
>on the ISDN card.  The LCP Requests come from your provider, and so i4b
>thinks the line is never idle, because the card isn't.  This is of cours=
>very bad, because then the whole concept of being idle gets thrown out t=
he
>window.
>
>I wrote a kernel patch for this, and should be in the contrib/ directory=

>of your i4b distribution, but I wrote it for 0.70 and don't know if it
>works for any later versions.  My patch basicaly adds an idle timer to
>sppp(4) just like ppp(4) has had all these years.
>
>This is a bug, that needs to be fixed.

one could just as easily argue that this is a bug in the CISCO router
and CISCO should fix it. Or the administrator of the router should
turn off the echo requests.

There was a reason why your patch wasn't integrated, although I can't
remember what it was right now. I think because it effectively disables
the short hold timer which we've all come to know and love.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com