Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:42:26 -0700
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Henri Hennebert <HLH@CIGER.BE>
Subject:   Re: SMP 4.6-stable freezes during boot (Fujitsu-Siemens C200)

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:00:27AM +0200, Henri Hennebert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I try to boot my Fujitsu-Siemens C200, with the SMP kernel,
> the system freezes:

[snip dump]

> I track stable for 2 weeks without success.
>
> Any clue will be appreciated. The system must go into
> production in 2 weeks. I can play with the configuration
> until then.

You might be much better served by tracking RELENG_4_6 (security
patches to -RELEASE) rather than RELENG_4 (-STABLE) for a critical
production machine. Although -STABLE is meant to be fairly stable, the
security patches are just that -- no new features are being merged
from the trunk to that branch. Also, historically, a large amount of
new code gets merged in immediately after the release code freeze is
lifted.

It's my current practice to track RELENG_4_5 on critical remote
machines, and RELENG_4_6 on production machines that are easy to get
to. I suppose this might be seen as extremely conservative, but it is
successful. I run one 2-processor system and a bunch of uniprocessor
systems this way, and it saves me a lot of stress (especially as
sysadmin is not my principal job function).

--
Fred