Date:      Fri, 8 Oct 1999 21:48:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

>"Targeting the server only is a death wish. Novell tried, and they're being

Internet?

>beaten bloody by NT. Banyan tried -- they even used UNIX -- and never
>became popular in the first place even though they were years ahead of
>everyone. Microsoft even failed with LAN Manager. FreeBSD will fail at this

Internet?

>too; everyone will go to Linux whether it's better or not.

Linux ain't bad. And if it is the evil some say it is, then it will also
fall to something better.

>"The trouble is that no one wants to have separate training, separate
>software, separate configuration, or separate experts for the server.
>Companies are tired of paying a CNE 'guru' big bucks to fix NetWare and

No need for an NT admin. Bullshit. That is the biggest myth of NT. And if
the workload requires a staff of six, then what diff does it make if one
person is Unix and 5 do help desk.

Who wants to pay for licenses? Who wants to pay for down time? Downtime in
manufacturing for example costs even small companies MILLIONS each day.
The cost of _any_ admin is trivial compared to this.

Seperate software? You mean like a seperate telnetd. Or maybe a seperate
IIS. Or maybe a seperate set of pointing and clicking and rebooting for
each install instead of dropping in a set of rc files.

>then keeping a whole separate staff around to support DOS and Windows. And
>they want their workstations to act like servers: fast, efficient, and rock
>solid. They don't want to see these traits limited to the server! The
>operating system that everybody wants will run on everything, maybe with a
>few tweaks for what it's doing, and will be reliable, fast, and secure

If this was true, Unix would bo on the desktop already.

>everywhere. And if you know how to fix the desktop machine, you will be
>able to work on the server too. NT would have taken over the world by now

Also bullshit.

>if it weren't so insecure. It took over my organization just because
>Microsoft *promised* that it would run on both the server and the desktop.

And it does run, for a couple days.

Well there you go. The people this guy works for made the wrong decision
based on dubious criteria. Do these people really think the family van is
going to work as well on the race track as getting groceries?

>The OS graveyard is littered with the bones of OSes that wanted to be
>server-only. If FreeBSD is going to make itself look like it's only for
>servers, the same thing will happen to it."

What about the cost of the software? Was that a factor? Was the software
really any good? What about the internet and it's protocols. Did companies
adapt to that? Is it possible that perhaps alllllllll of the issues aren't
really shown here so that Brett can beat us up some more about how fucked
up we all are?

Back to gloom and doom, Brett? I know you couldn't stay away from it for
very long. Yes, you posted some techie stuff that you rarely seemed to
post before. You seemed to be taking a different tack. I knew you were
just keeping your foot in the door so you could perpetuate your
doomsaying at a later date.

Brett, I really think you should jump ship now so that when FreeBSD hits
the Davey Jones' locker you can be safe.

Oh, and FreeBSD does the desktop as good as any unix but not as good as
Mac or Windows. So what?

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells
Jason Wells	| "Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither