Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:28:37 +0800
From:      "Jud " <jud@operamail.com>
To:        <grog@FreeBSD.org>, <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Booting from RAID? (was Re: Using VINUM to do RAID-1 disk mirroring)

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:19:54 +1030
To: Jason Borkowsky <jcborkow@tcpns.com>
Subject: Re: Using VINUM to do RAID-1 disk mirroring

[snip]
> Vinum doesn't currently support root, so yes, you'll need a separate
> boot drive with the root file system.
>
> Greg

I'm about to set up two ATA-100 hard drives as a RAID-0 array.  An ATA-66 drive will remain in the system.  I'd prefer booting from whichever was fastest, and assume this would be the RAID array.

Is there a disadvantage/impediment to booting from a RAID array (other than possible loss of data - there's nothing on any of these drives I can't afford to lose, so it would be a PITA but not a disaster), or is there a different reason why Vinum doesn't support root?

Jud