Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:11:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        jason <jason@welsh.dynip.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interface ed0 not recognized in 4.1 RELEASE

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, jason wrote:

> I just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and now my system will not recognize my
> ed0 (cheap ne2000 clone) card. Nothing else on my box changed except for
> upgrading. It never even shows up in dmesg. I have done some searches and
> it seems like this is a problem for a handful of folks, but I never could
> find a good solution. I saw someone on usenet suggested that you replace
> the /sys/dev/ed/if_ed.c with an older version of that file and recompile.
> I tried that and got compile errors. Anyone know of a real fix?

It didn't show in dmesg is suspect!

Perhaps there is an IRQ issue.  I had one of these ed0 cards in ISA
format.  I had to run a DOS utility to set the software jumpers.  One time
during an upgrade, the IRQ settings in the GENERIC kernel changed.  I had
to build a new kernel with the correct IRQ and such for my card.

Perhaps you got bit by this.  As a generality, ed0 cards just plain work.

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells