Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:17:18 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@atdot.dotat.org>
To:        pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co (Pedro F. Giffuni)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: brandelf and crossbuilding

Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

 > I am playing a bit with the linux SVR4 emulation libraries. It says
 > there that the libc_s stuff for the emulator can be built with the stock
 > ELF compiler. Any one has a qualified opininon on why this shouldn't (or
 > should) work?

In theory it should work;  ELF is ELF, after all, regardless of the
compiler that generates it.

 > While everything seems to build fine, I would like to be able to
 > brandelf them to svr4, however our brandelf doesn't yet support a svr4
 > type (I am using 3.1-R). If it's something trivial, please don't wait
 > until after the emulator is released and shipped ;-).

Two things:

   1.  You don't need to brandelf libraries, only executables.
   2.  You can make brandelf shove anything at all into the brand
       section by using "brandelf -f -t insert-brand-here /file/name"

Note that SysVR4 currently uses "SVR4" as its brand, not "svr4".  I
might change this at some point, though.  UNIX keyboards aren't meant
to have shift keys on them, after all :-)

    - mark