Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2004 13:03:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      freebsd@wcubed.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems installing to AMI MegaRAID array

Howdy all,

I just inherited a Micron NetFrame MV5000 (Intel 440LX, Dual PII-300; full
specs: http://support.buympc.com/apps/complist.asp?SerialNo=1300458-0001).
 It has a 'RPX' module installed which enables RAID on my 8 4.3GB SCSI
drives, apparently via an AMI MegaRAID controller.  I've been able to get
into the MegaRAID bios setup and configure an initialize a RAID volume,
but FBSD can't find it.

I've installed FBSD on several RAID systems before, so I didn't think it
would be a problem.  But the GENERIC kernel doesn't seem to find the
controller.  It sees the Symbios Logic SCSI controller, the DAT & CD-ROM,
but none of the drives or logical disks.

If I remove the RPX module from the mainboard (a rather simple card with
battery, flash and a couple of DIMMs & sundry other minor chips) I no
longer get the AMI MegaRAID BIOS option (makes sense) and each drive spins
and shows up during the Symbios Logic init on boot.  The RPX board doesn't
have any chips that are labelled AMI (or LSI, for that matter), so I don't
know how to determine the actual RAID chipset.

Anyone have any suggestions as to making this work?

Thanks,

Brad Waite