Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:47:27 -0700
From:      Walter Miller <wmiller@mediaone.net>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache or AOLServer?

On Wednesday 18 April 2001 04:08 pm, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:23:43PM -0700, Walter Miller wrote:
> >    Any chance FreeBSD would use AOLServer for their website now that it's
> >    open sourced?  It seems like AOLServer would be a better fit for
> >    FreeBSD than Apache based on the supposed performance and
> >    multi-threaded lead it has (and has had for quite a while) over
> >    Apache.  I'm actually trying to decide for myself which one to go for
> >    although I'm leaning towards AOLServer but maybe you guys have some
> >    good reasons why Apache is the way to go.
>
> Um... next time, buy the *expensive* acid, okay?
>
> There's a reason 60% of the World Wide Web is powered by Apache... not
> only is it open source, but it's stable, works well, supports a wide
> variety of modules, and is highly configurable.
>
> I've never seen AOLserver. It may be the greatest web server there ever
> was. But let me tell you what I know:
>
> 1) AOL's instant messenger clients and service are shitty on any
> platform.
>
> 2) AOL's internet service and its clients are shitty.
>
> 3) AOL owns Netscape, and Netscape is shitty.
>
> In all my experience with AOL and its products, I've never had a good
> experience. This leads me to be very cautious about anything they
> produce.
>
> It strikes me as odd that AOL would produce a web server; is this just
> the old-time Netscape server product renamed and repackaged?

It's a product they got from taking over a company called Navisoft.

> Until you can tell me who says that AOLserver outperforms Apache (AOL
> doesn't count), and who has had good experiences with it, I won't even
> begin to consider it as an Apache alternative. I fail to see
> multithreading as an immediate advantage.

I'm looking for some good examples/experiences myselft - the whole reason for
this email.

A little dated but probably still relevant:

http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/aolserver/introduction-1.html
http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/aolserver/introduction-2.html