Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:08:43 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

Nik Clayton wrote:
> You, or anyone else, are free to create their own installer and/or
> related technologies.  You can create your own FreeBSD distro if you want,
> and go and market it.
>
> But you must also include, somewhere, the project's installation
> routine, and provide a mechanism that lets the end user choose what gets
> run.

How about we call this mechanism "buying CDROM A instead of CDROM B"?

> For example, you might ship on CDROM, and include the project's floppy
> disk images, and instructions on how to use them to create a "FreeBSD
> Project" install.

This is actually the first time this particular option has
been raised as "permissable".

> Or you could describe how the user can interrupt the
> boot process and change the init path variable to point to sysinstall
> instead of your own installer.

Not workable, due to CDROM boot image size restrictions.

> But you can make your installer the default if you want.  Just make sure
> they can get to the project's installer as well.

There's still the problem that it isn't *you* who are allowed
to make these rules, it's the trademark holder, or their agent;
historically, their agent has denied permission for such things.

-- Terry