Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:13:49 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3 simple bsd questions (man, ~ and moused)

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> 1.  What is the man command that explains man commands, i.e. what (1),
> (2), etc. are in the manual?  I saw it somewhere, now i can't find it.

You have to do a "man mdoc.samples", which explains writing a man
page. In it is the following

            Under FreeBSD, the following section numbers and their
descrip-
            tions are described below:

                  1      FreeBSD General Commands Manual
                  2      FreeBSD System Calls Manaul
                  3      FreeBSD Library Calls Manual
                  4      FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual
                  5      FreeBSD File Formats Manual
                  6      FreeBSD Games Manual
                  7      FreeBSD Miscellaneous Information Manual
                  8      FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
                  9      FreeBSD Kernel Developers Guide

I haven't seen the '~' or at least noticed it.

Kent

> 2.  What does the '~' after a filename mean?  Is this a deleted file
> that can be undeleted?  I tried man file, filename, ~, undelete, and
> whiteout.  No dice.
>
> 3.  SOmetimes when i boot up my laptop, the mouse doesn't work.  dmesg
> says /dev/psm0 not configured.  Rebooting works, but takes too
> long.  GOing to single user mode then back to multi doesn't do it.  Is
> there a simple way to configure psm0 once i am up and running?  Is
> this a bug?

> If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does anybody
> care?

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com