Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 12:46:32 +0200
From:      johann@broadpark.no
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPv6 on ADSL -- conflicts with onlamp.com article (IPv6, Meet FreeBSD)

Hi.

I am having some problems setting up IPv6 on my network:

[1]
I've added this to my g/w kernel:
options         IPFIREWALL                      # Firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE              # Enable logging to
syslogd(8)
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100    # Limit verbosity
options         IPV6FIREWALL                    # Firewall for IPv6
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPV6FIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100

And this to rc.conf:
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
ipv6_firewall_enable="YES"
ipv6_firewall_type="OPEN"

Yet, I get:
IPv6 packet filtering initialized, logging limited to 100 packets/entry
IP packet filtering initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding
disabled, default to deny, logging limited to 100 packets/entry by default

Note the `default to deny' -- where does that come from. After I added all
these settings not even my NFS will work.

[2]
In O'Reilly's IPv6 article
(http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a//bsd/2002/02/22/ipv6.html) in the `Configuring
Your Gateway Machine' section it describes the rtadvd configuration. On my
g/w I have two interfaces; lnc0 (10.0.0.2, and this address *has* to be
10.0.0.2 for it to properly connect to my Cisco ADSL modem) and ep0
(192.168.187.2, connected to my w/s). Excactly what interfaces am I going
to add to /etc/rtadvd.conf?

[3]
I have registered with Freenet6, and as far as I understand, tspc connects
to it. Both ping6 and traceroute6 doesn't work, but I believe this is
because of the rtadvd. Now, *what* is my IPv6 address? Freenet6 hasn't told
me. dmesg hasn't told me. Who will?

[4]
Once I find out what my address is, how will I set up my subnet so it may
work as my IPv4 one does? Will it be an internal subnet or an external
subnet?

This is all a mess. That article is meant for you guys and not me. Should
it really be like that?

Thanks.

-- Johann