Date:      Fri, 04 Sep 1998 19:26:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Manuel Enrique Garcia Cuesta <megarcia@lix.intercom.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   no debugging symbols in /stand/sysinstall

        Can somebody guess why I cannot get the debugging symbols
into /stand/sysinstall ?  I am running "make" and "make install"
in /usr/src/release/sysinstall as root, after adding the line

CFLAGS+= -ggdb

in Makefile. Everything runs smoothly without errors or warnings or
anything, so I take it that I am missing something that will turn
out to be really obvious. My FreeBSD is 2.2.7R

su-2.02# gdb /stand/sysinstall
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
(gdb)