Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:39:37 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>, Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>, Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>
Subject:   Re: lang/php5 port

--==========F1F66B418CCA19711393==========

--On Wednesday, December 17, 2008 11:25:02 -0500 Tom Worster <fsb@thefsb.org>=20
wrote:

>> If you're maintaining your
>> own workstation, that might be an educational experience.  If you're
>> maintaining servers, that could cause an outage while you try to remember
>> what your edits were.
>
> one has to remember the port's configuration whichever method is used. my
> memory isn't good so i keep detailed notes. recording in these notes which
> checkboxes in the config pseudo-gui were checked and unchecked is not
> convenient. i'm not sure i wouldn't prefer editing a file and keeping a diff
> with my notes, as i do for the other config files i change.

Your choices for the config of a port are saved in the ports system.  (Look in=20
/var/db/ports/ if you're curious.)  Unless you need to make some changes, they=20
will be pre-selected each time you update the port.  (There are some exceptions =

to this, where ports will always prompt for the config.)

>> If you think a port is incorrectly built (unnecessary dependencies, for
>> example) there's nothing wrong with submitting a PR and asking the =
maintainer
>> to update the port.  If the maintainer rejects your changes, you can always
>> edit locally later, but your submission could benefit thousands of people.
>>
>> IOW, if you're the smartest guy on the block, please don't keep it to
>> yourself.
>
> i'm certainly not smart enough to know what might be a better way to design
> ports like php. but one thing seems odd to me. i ended up with dozens of
> ports installed that appeared to use nothing but the same php-5.2.8.tar.bz2
> distfile. relative to what i'm used to with php (i.e. manual configure,
> compile, install) this seems a bit untidy and i'm nervous what it might mean
> for maintenance.

Php used to be one monolithic port.  The problem was that it required a=20
gazillion options, and many people didn't want anything but the base install.=20
So php#-extensions was created to simplify the install of the base port and=20
make the options more flexible.  For example, if a new extension comes out, you =

can simply install it.  No need to reinstall the entire php port.

You needn't worry about updating.  That's all taken care of in the ports=20
system.  When you run portupgrade or portmaster, the extensions ports that need =

to be updated will be.

> my guess is that this approach allows the ports framework to handle
> conditional installation of dependent software on a relatively fine-grained
> basis depending which options the user chooses. that's a nice feature to
> have. but wouldn't it be nicer if were just one port with dependencies based
> off its configuration?

I think you can make a solid argument either way.

> seems that would reduce clutter in the ports tree too and maybe effort for
> the ports maintainer.

I don't think "we" are worried about clutter in the ports tree.  There are over =

16,000 ports (and rising), so another 10 or 20 in php is a fairly insignificant =

increase.

--=20
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst