Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 11:39:37 -0500
From:      Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijpp STILL cannot talk to my modem :-((

At 06:25 AM 1/2/96 -0500, you wrote:
>	here's how you can cheat :)
>
>	take a look at /etc/rc.serial.   the stty above works, but when
>the process ends, /dev/cuaa1 is reset.  you need to diddle /dev/cuaia1
>(that initial settings)  leave the /dev/cuala1 alone (lock settings) so
>the modem and dialer can diddle as they wish.  (man 4 sio explains all
>the ins and outs)
I have made the changes to the initial state using rc.serial as you
suggested so that only /dev/cuaia1 is affected.  This had the desired affect
on /dev/cuaa1, so now when I check the state using stty -a </dev/cuaa1,
crtscts and clocal are set.

Unfortunately, this had no effect on iij-ppp, in term mode.  I still get no
characters received/sent by/from the modem.  One note however, when I issue
the term command, the TR light on the modem comes on, indicating that some
sort of signal is being received.

-- Stephen
Stephen Couchman    | scouch@io.org