Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 2008 15:20:16 +0200
From:      "Daniel Eriksson" <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: MCP55 SATA data corruption in FreeBSD 7

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> With the same cables?  Not that I want to use cables as a=20
> scapegoat, but in this case it seems applicable.

With the same cables, yes.

> Can you provide "atacontrol cap" output for one of the drives?

# atacontrol cap ad4

Protocol              Serial ATA II
device model          SAMSUNG HD103UJ
firmware revision     1AA01112
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported       1953525168 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value           Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   yes       -      31/0x1F
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no      31/0x1F
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/0x00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      0/0x00  254/0xFE

> I know in the case of Maxtor drives, there is a bug that exists in one
> of their disk firmwares which causes silent data corruption and/or
> SATA bus lockups when NCQ is used on nForce 4 chipsets.  Maxtor
> provides a firmware update which fixes the bug.

Connecting (some of) the drives to a <JMicron JMB363 SATA300 controller>
or a <Promise PDC20318 SATA150 controller> makes them work just fine.

FreeBSD itself does not seem to notice any data corruption. I only
noticed it because "zpool status" reported checksum errors after I had
written almost 3 TB to the array. I then issued a "zpool scrub", and
within a couple of minutes I already had dozens of corrupt files (so I
stopped the scrub, deleted the pool and started fault-finding).

---
Daniel Eriksson (http://www.toomuchdata.com/)