Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:37:55 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: laptop recommendations

Michael Lucas stated:
: I'm shocked.  My new boss has approved about $3k for a UNIX laptop for
: me.  I've never spent that much money on a personal PC in my life.
:
: So, any recommendations?  I need the ability to use 256meg of RAM and
: X-windows.
:
: Thanks,

Michael-

There are a lot of machines that fall into this category and are
3000 or less :)  Are there any other concerns:  big, monster, movie
theater size screen?, built-in ethernet?, small and light?  small and
light yet with built-in enet and cdrom? etc.

My tastes lean toward the ultralights (I have a Sony 505-TR).

I have been impressed with IBM's latest offerings T-20/21 are very
nice, but you do need to build XFree86-4 from cvs (not sure our
ports version supports the S3 Savage/MX or whatever), also, newpcm
craps and dies with a timeout anytime you try and use pcm (waveplay
or realaudio); however, the mixer works for cd audio (note:  this is
on an A-20M -- larger and slightly different notebooks -- would love
to hear that this has been fixed ).  The X-20 and A-20/21 series are
nice too.  X20 is an ultralight and uses Rage Mobility (supported by
XFree86-4 out of ports) as does the A20 is the all-in-one offering.

The Acer 600 series offer a nifty compromise with a built-in cdrom
burner and 13.3" XGA screen ... uses Rage Mobility (ports XFree86-4).
Audio is the ESS solo chip and works fine for realaudio and cd audio.
The synaptics touchpad is only detected as a two button mouse ... even
though it has a middle rocker switch :(

The Sony Z505 series are quite nice (external cdrom only).  The
SR series are even smaller, but no built-in enet :(

Gateway has a new ultralight, but it uses the Maestro-3 audio chip,
which is not supported other than that it looks pretty good (forgot
what the video card is).

Toshiba's 3840 uses the S3 chipset, but looks pretty nice.

Hmmm... then there are the whole line of luggables by Dell and others.

Good luck and happy hunting.
Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU