Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:42:45 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tar damaged (not related to FreeBSD :)

does anyone know of any tricks to repair a file damaged by an ASCII ftp
transfer?

here's what happened...

a new sysadmin here made some backups of some important dirs in a Solaris
box (using tar and gzip) tranfered them to another server (FreeBSD) but
forgot to set the tranfer mode to BINARY (Solaris ftp needs to be explicitly
told to use binary mode, otherwise defaults to ASCII). Then he zaped solaris
from the sunbox and installed a new version.

now if we try to decompress the files using gunzip in the FreeBSD box
gunzip dumps core. idem if we do it in the solaris box.

is there any way to reconstruct the files?

thanks,

-oscar