Date:      22 Jan 2001 05:24:02 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Subject:   Re: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c)

"Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:
> On 22-Jan-01 Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> >  Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> writes:
> > >     Did you know that you can't use any SMS gateway I know of to send
> > > SMS messages to customers that are not on the same carrier as the
> > > gateway?
> >  That's simply not true - if it's the case in Belgium, then it's a
> >  simple case of greed, incompetence or a combination of both.
> The GSM providers in Australia used to allow you to use any SMS
> gateway, but since SMS has become a big money spinner for them, they
> have clamped down and only allow you to use theirs.

We must mean different things by "SMS gateway"... If Brad meant
"gateways to which an SMS content provider can connect to send SMS
messages to end-users", then I stand by my claim that there is no
technical obstacle to sending messages to one carrier's customers
through another carrier's gateway.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org