Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:25:44 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dufus.[...] daily run output -- summer time

"Donald R. Tyson" <tyson@stanfordalumni.org> probably said:
> As a moderately humorous aside, when I booted the Windows
> side of my home machine on Sunday afternoon, it proudly
> informed me that it had adjusted for the time change, and
> then displayed a **2-hour** leap ahead.
>
> At least the 4.0-STABLE side, despite the error reported by
> several on this list, managed to get the time right.

This is normal.

'doze keeps the PC's system time as local time, so all it does when it
works out it's booted the first time after a timechange (and probably
if it is up over a timechange) is add/subtract an hour from the
current time.

If you run a FreeBSD box with local time in the system clock (which of
course you have to to make doze have the correct time), it does the
same thing.

Boot both after a timechange, you get 2 hours difference, 1 from each.

On my dualboot boxes I turn off automatic time changes in doze.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu