Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:13:27 -0700
From:      Erik Steffl <steffl@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. RedHat

JacobRhoden wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 01:32 pm, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>   both freeBSD and linux distros (most of them at least) give you
>>choice what you install. Just because it's on CD does not mean it's
>

> Yes, but RedHat installs piles more junk which you dont use.... (At least last
> time I did an install about a year ago.. had things like gaim and other
> things I dont even know what are for).

   you can pick what you want in the beginning (I don't remember exactly
how flexibile it is so maybe you really installs more than you need).

   but nothing is really part of OS, everything is a package (rpm) so
you can uninstall pretty much anything you want.

   different linux distros are different in this area, I know for a fact
that mandrake is very flexible in what you need to install (I tried it
fairly recently), debian is extremely flexible (you can get few tens of
MB net install (I don't remember how much but it's a lot less than one
CD), install that and from there you just pick packages you want (it
also has some groups that you can install (server, workstation etc.) for
people who do not want so much granularity).

   I just don't think that your fairly general statement about linux
distros pushing kitchen sink on you while freeBSD being more traditional
unix is true...

	erik