Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:08:15 -0600
From:      Stephen <sdk@yuck.net>
To:        "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Subject:   Re: disk cloning (& a bit of picobsd)

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 10:14:10AM -0500, Charles N. Owens wrote:

> I also am curious as to why use of dd in this way is bad.  I've read a number
> of journal articles that advocate its use in just this way (another source,
> O'Reilly's new "Unix Backup & Recovery", by W Curtis Preston talks about its
> flexibility for certain backup/recovery applications).  The key thing is to
> _really_ understand the strengths and weaknesses of whatever tool you're
> considering... and to do rigorous testing....

I'm not a ufs expert, but I had thought the downside to using dd is that it
copies the bad block map from source to target disk, rendering good disk
space unusable.  Also, bad blocks on the target disk would never be mapped
out during the usual newfs.

In my opinion, if the machine is not dual booting an automated FreeBSD
install with pre and post install scripts similar to Solaris jumpstart
would be ideal.

sk

--
sdk@yuck.net