Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:17:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot blocks

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Art Neilson, KH7PZ wrote:

> OK you guys!!  How do I rebuild the bios boot blocks?  I read
> thru the README.serial in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot and
> know I need to recompile and install the new boot blocks.

	You don't mention what version of freebsd you're using, but if you
are using 3.0 or higher the actual place to rebuild the boot blocks is
/sys/boot. The rest of /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial applies
though.

> I altered /etc/make.conf to hardcode the serial port address
> for a serial console and also set the speed to 19200.  I did
> do the make in the /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot directory
> however did not do the make install yet as I fear I need to
> do a disklabel after that to enable the blocks and don't know
> the correct command to use.

	Why do you think that? It's not mentioned in any documentation I
can find. All you should have to do is 'make all install clean' in
/sys/boot and then reboot.

Good luck,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter