Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:20:10 -0000
From:      "Rob" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Page faults, Signal 11s

Hiya :0)

I persuaded the company I work for to give me some budget to co-locate a box
and let me experiement with web hosting and stuff. They agreed, and with the
(limited) budget I had I bought / built an Athlon 800 with 256MB of PC133
(normal) SDRAM memory - and a 30GB (or so) IDE HD.

It ran fine without crashing for about 80 days then all of a sudden it
started crashing seemingly randomly - also Apache processes started to
die...

I'm fairly new to FreeBSD so I'm not entirely sure what could be wrong...
some people have suggested that my RAM is busted, and that I should have
used ECC SDRAM - others suggested software, and others - well - other things
:0)

At the moment I can't do anything drastic with the box as I can only
administer is remotely - and its serving client websites at the moment (so
if it died - I'd be like... dead :0). The trial was such a success that I've
been given a much larger budget and I'm going to be buying 2/3 Dell
PowerEdge servers, however the company (and me) would like to have 1 machine
still co-located that I can *play* with when I want to test things... In a
few months the new servers will come online and I can bring this old box
home and do drastic things (like changing memory maybe) with it.

It would be nice if it could be this box as I don't want to have to spend
~?1,500 if this can be fixed / repaired. If not however I'm sure it would
make a nice desktop.

I tried upgrading Apache from 1.1.12 to 1.1.14, and also tried taking out
all the SSL and Perl stuff I had in it - but that didn't help.

I'm running (from uname -a)

FreeBSD www.pensionweb.com 4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Mar 20
22:50:22 GMT 2000 root@monster.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

Essentially I'm looking for suggestions of:

a) What might be causing the problems
b) What I can do to fix it  /  diagnose it

I'm including the kind of thing I get in the logs below:

> fault virtual address	= 0x182f0e1
> fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc0188fa2
> stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xc031ac30
> frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xc031ac44
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process		= Idle
> interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks... 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16 16
16

[and another one]
> fault virtual address	= 0x80
> fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02b2b62
> stack pointer	        = 0x10:0xccce6e58
> frame pointer	        = 0x10:0xccce6e60
> code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> 			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process		= 189 (httpd)
> interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
> trap number		= 12
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks... 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 Copyright (c)
1992-2000 The FreeBSD Project.

and also this kind of thing:

> pid 7968 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
> pid 7859 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11
> pid 7860 (httpd), uid 65534: exited on signal 11

Hope theres an easy solution!
-Rob :0)

http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk