Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:18:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@lust.geekhouse.net>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>, "Zaitsau, Andrei" <AZaitsau@panasonicfa.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lost root password

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 at 14:25:01 -0800, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
> > It's not all that hard to temporarily (or even permanently) plug a spare
> > floppy drive into the machine...  The alternative is to "crack" through
> > the machine's security.
>
> This is covered in the FAQ.  It has nothing to do with "cracking" the
> machine's security.  And why would he need a floppy?  All you need to do
> is:

	You must have missed that he said "Single user mode is also
password protected. "   Which I take to mean that he marked the console as
insecure in ttys.   Then he is left with connecting a floppy, cdrom
drive, or finding a root exploit for whatever version he is running.
What version are you running, Andrei?  I suppose the other option is to
attach a second drive and boot from that, then mount the root partition of
the original drive and edit /etc/ttys that way.

						Tim