Date:      30 May 2003 02:10:43 EDT
From:      Edward.Wei@Dartmouth.EDU (Edward Wei)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.3.0, any keyboard press results in mode change

Hi Brian,

It's been a long time.  I hope you've fixed the problem by now.
But if you haven't, and for the sake of others, I solved this =
problem
by:

In XFree-4_libraries port:
make deinstall

Then
make install

or 'portupgrade' or what you like.

Something obviously went wrong with the port.  reinstalling fixed =
the problem.
Note that you don't have to be as destructive as rm -rf   A simple =
deinstall would
be safer and less hassle.

-Ed

-- You Wrote: ---
I upgraded a workstation today previously running Gnome 2.0,
FreeBSD-STABLE as of November or so (4.7 I think),
and XFree86-4 4.2.1, to Gnome 2.2, FreeBSD 4-STABLE as of today, =
and
XFree86-4.3.0.  I did a make world from source, but installed Gnome =
and
XFree86 as packages from the 4.8-RELEASE CD.

XFree86 starts up fine, Gnome 2.2 starts up, my Eterm shells start, =
it all
looks great... until I try and type, and then any key I press on =
the
keyboard results in an X resolution mode change.  Kind of annoying, =
and
I'd like to fix it.  I can't find anything unusual in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log.

I'm still using the "keyboard" driver in my XF86Config file; I =
tried
changing that to "kbd" and it had no difference.  I'm about ready =
to rm
-rf /usr/X11R6 but I'd prefer to know exactly what's causing this.  =
Where
should I start looking?

	Brian