Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 14:53:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's named.root?

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> I'm exploring using my BSD machine as a name server (a skill I'm finding
> extremely unpleasant to nurture), and in some newsgroup postings I came
> across several mentions of a a file called /etc/namedb/named.boot. I looked
> for such a file, and discovered I don't have one. However, I do have a
> /etc/namedb/named.root (as well as a /etc/namedb/named.conf).

named.conf is akin to named.boot, it's the primary config file
used by named.

named.root contains the addresses of the root name servers so
your DNS server can lookup domains.

from the NAMED(8) manpage:

     /etc/namedb/named.conf                      default name server configu-
                                                 ration file
     /var/run/named.pid (_PATH_PIDFILE)          the process id
     /var/tmp/named_dump.db (_PATH_DUMPFILE)     dump of the name server
                                                 database
     /var/tmp/named.run (file: _PATH_DEBUG)      debug output
     /var/tmp/named.stats (file: _PATH_STATS)    nameserver statistics data

you may want to pick up the ORA book about DNS.

and please don't crosspost, thanks.

-Alfred