Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:52:07 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: Keeping ftp install files on 4.0???

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 04:26:15PM +0000, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ** Grab the works and burn it to a CD.
>
> I can do that, but the ISO image will take approx:-
>
> 640,000 k @ 4k/sec approx avg
> 160,000 / 60 / 60 = 44 Hours.
> and at 60p per hours,
>
> 44 * .60 =
>

> £26.66 .... about the same as a 4 CD release box over here.
>
> The big word is:-
>
> 56k >> Fifty-six kilobit per second.
>
> We dont get free calls here and cable is too expensive.
>
> Plus I only need:-
>      bin, compat3x, compat22, ports, src/sys, man, X stuff

The 4.0-RELEASE tree is "only" about 140 MB. This is inlcudes
everything you listed except X. (Assuming that you mean the ports tree
skeleton and not the actual source tarballs for individual ports.)

I'll be exact. I just put in the 4.0R CD I made myself yesterday,

  % df /cdrom
  Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/acd0c     141974   141974        0   100%    /cdrom
  % ls /cdrom
  ABOUT.TXT       RELNOTES.TXT    compat1x        dict            ports
  ERRATA.TXT      TROUBLE.TXT     compat20        doc             proflibs
  HARDWARE.TXT    UPGRADE.TXT     compat21        floppies        src
  INSTALL.TXT     bin             compat22        games
  LAYOUT.TXT      catpages        compat3x        info
  README.TXT      cdrom.inf       crypto          manpages