Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:54:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joki@shire.domestic>
To:        V-Vega <vvega@silly.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Boot

Hi

Unfotunately, booting is BIOS business. And all the BIOSes I know of
can only boot primary partitions (that's those there's at most four of..)
from the Primary IDE's master disk. Too bad :-(

But, if you install a minimal partition with a BSD boot-strapper on
it you might be able to boot the kernel from your second disk. However,
this is not guaranteed to work (this mailing list has been full of
those questions during the past few days)

Some people seem to be running FreeBSD on their secondary SCSI drives,
maybe they could give you more info (I assume, however, you are talking
IDE ?)

To install FreeBSD you need the disk images in order to boot FreeBSD for the
first time. Then, if you have an internet connection (like over a LAN card)
you can install directly from a ftp site and the install program will
do everything for you. Thus, boot.flp and fixit.flp (just in case... ;-)
are the only files you have to download yourself.

Hope that helps.

c u Jo

On 05-Apr-97 V-Vega wrote:
>Hi....I currently run Windows 95 as my sole OS.  I wish to install BSD
>2.2.1.  I didnt exactly understand the INSTALL.TXT %100.  Firstly, I'm
>planning on making a 350 meg partition on my HD for BSD. however, I have a
>400MB slave HD and i was wondering if BSD can boot from that rather than my
>master hard drive.  I also wanted to know about the floppy install.  I do
>not have the FreeBSD CDROM, so i was wondering after i d/l all the bin
>filez onto the harddrive how do I go about ionstalling...do i need the
>image disks ?????
>
>Thanks so much!!!

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it