Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 14:10:17 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen:
 |> Just for kicks you might try changing your desktop to 640x480x16bpp,
 |> and then kick off tuxracer.  That'll probably give you over 6MB more of
 |> video RAM for texture.
 |
 |*This* actually made all the difference. I just pulled 50-60 FPS out of
 |tuxracer.
 |
 |But shouldn't X release that memory it isn't utilizing when running in
 |fullscreen mode?

I don't know what tuxracer is doing for sure, but probably not.  In X,
there's your video mode size, and there's your desktop size.  The video
mode is what's changing in tuxracer, but the desktop is what's occupying
space on your graphics card.  If you have a 1600x1200x32bpp desktop and use
the vidmode extension to switch resolutions, 1600x1200x32bpp is still
allocated on your card for you to move your viewport around on.

My desktop is 1600x1280x16bpp, so my config is using about half the memory
of yours for the frame buffer.  My video mode is 1344x1008, but that
doesn't affect the memory allocated -- just how much of it I can see at any
instant (the viewport).

 |Thanks for all the help.... looks like it's time to go shopping for a new
 |Matrox-card ;)

Or maybe just flip down to 16bpp (DefaultDepth 16 in the Screen section).
Works for me.

But 32MB G450's are so cheap nowadays you might just opt-in for one of
those.  If you do, be sure to get a DDR board:

    - G45+MDHA32DR   - Retail G450 32MB DDR
    - G45+MDHA32DLXB - Non-retail G450 32MB DDR

NOTE: The G450 LE is a 16MB SDR board.  The DDR G450 boards are generally
on-par with a G400 in performance, but the SDR G450's are step back.  Can't
speak to the 550's and newer.

Anyway, glad we got you speeding along in tuxracer!  And thanks for your
help in getting me going with DRI.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper