Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:15:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl oids (was: Re: kvm question)

yeah and we should get those nice valves that used to make radios so
useful as space-heaters.

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:11:12 -0800, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:
>
> > Backwards compatibility is one thing, but new nodes should be named,
> > not numbered.  OID_AUTO is bogus because it perpetuates the numbering
> > of nodes.
>
> Nonsense.  There are plenty of contexts in which a number makes far
> more sense than a name -- pretty much anything in any network stack
> other than Chaosnet, for example.  If any of us ever make good on the
> threat of SNMP integration, having fixed numerical identifiers will be
> a requirement.

SNMP will require a translation layer anyhow..
numbers cannot and should not be used. They are not easily
maintained in the face of multiple external modules being dynamically
loadable.
That is at least my opinion.. you may and do disagree. I guess you will
say that numbers are just as dynamic, etc.etc. well I just think that in
the REAL WORLD, as opposed to the theoretical world, names (which require
no co-ordination between authors), are a better choice than numbers,
which require some central naming authority.