Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 06:55:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jt <hometeam@techpower.net>
To:        Robert Blayzor <robert@superior.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8-STABLE Reboots Mysteriously

Check the "dumpdev" setting in rc.conf, it specifies where kernel crash
dumps should go. This _must_ be one of your swap drives, and the swap
drive must be big enough to have the content of your physical memory
dumped onto it. To enable it without rebooting, use dumpon(8).

After that, when your machine crashes, the crash dump will be saved into
/var/crash when it comes back up, along with a copy of the kernel which
generated it. These can be inspected later with `gdb -k'.

If this happens a lot, you should generate a debugging kernel with
`config -g'. Check the handbook, section ``Debugging a Kernel Crash Dump
with KGDB'' for more info on all of this.

hometeam@techpower.net
--We cannot all be masters, nor all masters
   Cannot be truly follow'd--

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

owEBqwBU/4kAlQMFADRCxNWhsddKSTR+6QEBelED/jzeC3btZfqSdIfrNoCgwUJJ
iNQ33UQoMyJ2ygkfl72xP5J79yml/F4P73GnNaDVbaMOmOG2NNAi5ElE73wRh54U
17kH+n5XnYeqekV8T2TG2Q6ex3UotXPyZ1vvrCrSxapOz6a4hh0GQeA55rcwLy2W
ROHwxfvaVsrX5iVOkRoerBFiC21lc3NhZ2UudHh0AAAAAA==
=jCvF
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----