Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 1996 07:40:54 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        june@adn.edu.ph
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cannot fork

> What happens if a process cannot fork? What's the cause of this? How
> can this be fix?

The cause is either that the process table is full and there's no room
for any more processes, or that the per-user limit is reached and
there's no room for one user ID to have any more processes.

> I have a special shell /bin/chat for a particular user. After 20
> people logged in using this special account, I see the message
> below:

It's gotta be the per-user limit, then.  For this special account, you
want to run the csh command

	unlimit maxproc

to allow that user ID to run as many processes as it wants (up to the
system limit).

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov