Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:18:09 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        Andrew Specht <andrew@iaccess.com.au>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP question..... With an Observation

> I would agree 90% of the time, but a RTFM is not a "reply with many different
> solutions" in the least. I believe I asked quite politely, provided a copy of
> the script I was useing, provided information on what it is doing and the
> desired outcome of what I would like it to do, and the version of FreeBSD I am
> useing...so, what did I do wrong then?
[.....]

I know very little about pppd, and presented with your question I
figured you must be running 2.2.X (which AFAIK doesn't have a version
of pppd that does demand dialing).  The problem was that I didn't see
you mention what version of FreeBSD you were running (I didn't notice
it in your sig).

So, I went to the man page (on a 3.0 machine) and searched for
``demand''.  It showed up all over the place.  I then went to a 2.2.7
machine and did a similar search and it showed up all over the place
there too.

After that, I deduced that you'd asked for information that is
documented (I haven't read the docs, but there's lots of mention) in
exactly the place you'd expect it to be documented.  As you hadn't
mentioned anything like ``I tried "demand this" and "demand that" to
no avail'', I sent the ``RTFM'' message.  (normally I'd ignore
questions that I consider RTFMable, but as I'd already gone to some
trouble, I figured that the original poster should be made aware that
they're asking something that's clearly documented).

You complained and I said my suggestion still stands.  You've given
no indication of having tried to do anything for yourself.

As you've still not proven yourself by doing as others do and trying
some things then asking ``am I on the right track'', I continue to
think that you don't deserve an answer.

You've supplied all the right information - indicating clearly (IMHO)
that you haven't tried to do things yourself.  As others have pointed
out, nobody wants to help someone if they're under the opinion that
the helpee isn't going to learn anything...

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;