Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:32:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scaring the bezeesus out of your system admin as a normal user:

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Ben wrote:

>      -s      Operate in secure mode.  Do not listen for log message from re-
>              mote machines.

This is kind of a related question, but in 2.2.7-RELEASE syslogd appears
to have been modified to bind to its UDP port even if it is run with the
-s flag.  It does discard packets received on the port (but still logs a
message about it!), but should it not even bind to the port when running
in secure mode?  It didn't bind to the port in previous versions, if
memory serves.

If this was a recent design decision that is meant to last, I think I will
hack my syslogd back to the way it used to be.

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/