Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:37:45 -0600
From:      Aaron D.Gifford <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVS mirror heirarchy questions

Hi,

If I understand it correctly, the FreeBSD CVS mirror system works with a
master repository that each FreeBSD mirror synchronizes with regularly.
If anyone wishes to operate a mirror, they must set up their system and
obtain authorization to access the master CVS repository.

What about adding a new tier to the CVS mirroring heirarchy?  A new layer
of mirrors would be useful that do not contact the master repository, but
instead synchronize from a tier-1 mirror.  This would permit ISPs, large
organizations, colleges, schools, etc. to operate an "internal only" CVS
repository from which all machines in the organization's domain could
synchronize sources (cvsup) without adding additional burden to the
tier-1 mirrors except for the organization's single mirror machine.

Is this possible?

I ask because I would like to run a limited-access CVS mirror where I
work to cut down on the number of cvsup sessions hitting tier-1 mirrors.

Also, how do the burdens of a cvsup session versus a CVS mirror compare?
At what point is it less of a stress on resources for an organization to
seek to operate a tier-2 mirror instead of individual cvsup sessions?

Thank you for any and all relevant information in advance.

Aaron out.