Date:      27 Dec 1999 09:02:30 +0100
From:      Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Byte/Russia

	Hi James!

On 26 Dec 99 at 21:04, "James" (James Howard) wrote:

 James> On 26 Dec 1999, Vadim Belman wrote:
 >> Seriously, any ideas on the article's content are appretiated.

 James> It would be wonderful to see an article discussing the hard-core
 James> technical advantages.  A good description of the VM system, the FS,

	I would describe it if have a really good documentation. For the
	moment I have little to say about it.

 James> the IP stack, and why they are better than the competators.  Real

	So, why then? I know they are better. And so you do. But neither
	benchmarks nor good explanations can be found on the Web. We have
	well known facts only about wcarchive, yahoo, etc., which runs
	FreeBSD as their main OS.

	The most impressive info on this topic is an article in the Science
	Daily online magazine where they talk about exceeding 1 Gbit
	threshold on a real task using FreeBSD TCP/IP stack without need to
	modify it.

 James> data should be used too, there is little more than heresay on these
 James> matters and it makes it difficult to prove something to someone.

	At the moment I'm mostly focusing on userland, developing model,
	administrative issues and stuff like this.
--
    /Voland			Vadim Belman
				E-mail: voland@plab.ku.dk