Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:14:52 -0400
From:      Boris Kochergin <spawk@acm.poly.edu>
Subject:   Re: Multi node storage, ZFS

Vincent Hoffman wrote:
> On 24/03/2010 15:47, Michal wrote:
>
>> I wrote a really long e-mail but realised I could ask this question far
>> far easier, if it doesn't make sense, the original e-mail is bellow
>>
>> Can I use ZFS to create a multinode storage area. Multiple HDD's in
>> Multiple servers to create one target of, for example, //officestorage
>> Allowing me to expand the storage space when needed and clients being
>> able to retrieve data (like RAID0 but over devices not HDD)
>>

> At least in theory you could use geom_gate and zfs I suppose, never
> tried it though.
> ggatec(8), ggated(8) are your friends for that.
>

> Vince
Indeed, you can. I've done it. As for failover, you could run the
recently-committed HAST code on primary and backup central machines.
Upon failure of the primary central machine, the backup one would take
its IP address, mount the ZFS filesystem over the network, do whatever
other userspace things may be necessary, and resume servicing I/O.

-Boris