Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:48:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Redundancy... final(?) summary

> much ado about fuel-cell technology

   It seems that my question has been answered with a silent "no." Nobody
seems to have any real experience with commercially available fuel-cell
technology products, at least in a format that is appropriate for my
situation. A 125KW system is a bit much for a handful of servers! :) I
guess this is simply wanting what doesn't (yet) exist- in another year
perhaps things will be different.

Some good FAQS to start with...
http://www.fuelcells.org/

Everything I got through other sources can also be accessed from there.

> comments about safety, etc.

   CO2 emissions still need to be vented to the atmosphere, unless you are
into suffocation. Even though H2 fuel-cells produce only H2O and heat, the
conversion of LPG or propane to H2 usually results in some CO2 and other
"trace" HC emissions- whether this ends up being significant is dependent
upon the situation. (in most cases I suspect it is, but I'm no expert)

   About the Hindenburg reference... modern research about the disaster
points away from H2 being the cause. Just FYI of course-
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/flash/hindenburg_script.html

   Anything flammable is dangerous if you store or use it incorrectly.
When storing any fuel, you need to address safety. Local laws may regulate
what you can legally do at your location, regardless of what is really
safe. Lighter or heaver than air gases will only affect whether the room
fills from the top down or the bottom up. (gulp!)

> practicality and cost

   Fuel-cells are, and for the foreseeable future will continue to be,
relatively expensive. An equivalent amount of energy from internal
combustion sources will cost significantly less. That may change as
technology improves and is mass produced, so eventually the fuel-cell's
advantages will outweigh its increased cost.

   Personally, I'd pay more for clean power without a lot of complaint,
assuming fuel-cells don't have "hidden" environmental impact. (probably a
false assumption) I also would be more comfortable storing propane, CNG,
or even H2 than I would compared to gasoline or even the less volatile
diesel. My gas grill seems a lot safer than my lawn mower, even if it's
really not- I think the parallel holds between generator and a fuel cell.

-=Jim=-