Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2006 14:55:59 -0400
From:      "Dearment, Alaric J" <ajdearment@bsu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Web server requirements

I'm the on-line editor of expo, Ball State University's student-run =
magazine. We're reviving our Web site, and I've been thinking seriously =
about running it off a FreeBSD-based server. However, I'm not sure what =
kinds of system requirements I'll have.

The school has roughly 20,000 students and the magazine comes out once a =
semester. If I were to guess, I'd say we'll be having 100 people on the =
server at once on busy days, most of whom will be on campus. In addition =
to articles, the server will probably offer a 10- to 15-minute video =
and/or podcast to go with the cover story. Also, the server will also be =
used as a mail server and file server, though file services will likely =
only be needed for a couple of days each semester and E-mail accounts =
will only be for staff to do things such as receive feedback on articles =
and so forth.

What sorts of requirements would such a server need as far as processor, =
RAM and HD are concerned, assuming it would be running on FreeBSD? Would =
a machine with 512M of RAM, a 140G HD and 1.2GHz processor work?

Thank you,
Alaric DeArment
Ball State University