Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2016 20:47:19 +0200
From:      Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Konrad Witaszczyk <def@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How does /etc/security/audit_event work?

Hi,

I participate in Google Summer of Code and I am working on a Non-BSM to =
BSM audit trails conversion (link below).

I=E2=80=99m feeling a little bit stuck.

=46rom what I understand this file is generated by audit_kevents.h and =
audit_uevent.h from within contrib/openbsm (although I couldn=E2=80=99t =
find the audit_uevent.h anywhere except the directory with the FreeBSD =
source code; I read the source of audit_uevent.h and I could find any =
definitions with a comment =E2=80=9CThese definitions are for FreeBSD").=20=

What strikes me is that the audit_event file on my working FreeBSD has =
some definitions for Darwin and Solaris and those definitions not always =
have a unique value of their eventnum (like the events with =
eventnum=3D6171).

My questions are:

1. How does /etc/security/audit_event work?
2. How does FreeBSD use this file and choose the right event type?=20
3. Which eventnums of the event types can I use on FreeBSD?

Cheers,

Mateusz Piotrowski

Project=E2=80=99s Wiki: =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools =
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools>;

PS I misunderstood a lot of things here for sure - sorry about that. =
I=E2=80=99ll be grateful if you correct me.