Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2008 11:16:28 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: own OS-Name

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:20:49 +0300
Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> It's certainly possible.  The OpenBSD team did this when they split off
> NetBSD.  The Dragonfly BSD folks have done it already when they branched
> from FreeBSD 4.X.  So you can definitely do it.  But you should probably
> understand a lot about the way the system works before doing that, and
> changing just the "uname" output is not enough.

there is also the other side of the coin, that of user-land apps that parse the
output of uname to handle things in different ways. It may not be the best way
to do things , but it's done quite a bit. Of course, this is be irrelevant if
you plan to have a completely locked up OS ....

And there is also all the other software that is bundled in base, openssh, comes
to mind:

$ nc -v localhost 22
Connection to localhost 22 port [tcp/ssh] succeeded!
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.5p1 FreeBSD-20061110

and man pages, and doc,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Two things have come out of Berkeley, Unix and LSD.
It is uncertain which caused the other.

Warned.