Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:15:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@aixx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /etc/host file?

Hi, FreeBSDers:

I have recently installed FreeBSD 3.4 on a new PC. I have been trying to
dial out to my ISP to get email, Web browse, read newsgroups, and so on. I
am able to dial out and connect, and can communicate with the ISP's
servers. The problem is that my connection will stall. The only way I am
able to renew the connection with the mail or news servers or with the
internet is to redial. The length of time that my connection works is
quite variable.

I have swapped in another modem, and the same thing happened, so I think
that I have pretty well eliminated a hardware problem. Neither modem is a
winmodem.

My dialup account is a dynamic PPP account. I am dialing in to an ISP in
New York City using local New Jersey access numbers.

The embarassing thing here is that when I dial in from the Windows 98
partition the connection is fine. I don't have the same problem using
Internet Explorer or Outlook Express.

This is what my /etc/host file looks like.

127.0.0.1	localhost	camelot.

Can anyone suggest what where I might look to solve this inconvenience?

Thank you.

Christopher J. Booth
cbooth@aixx.net