Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 12:30:28 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

In message <20020508070001.1BF6F38FD@overcee.wemm.org>, Peter Wemm writes:

>I think there is far more value to be had by divorcing the syscall
>interfaces from the code that implements them so we can do away with the
>damn stackgap stuff.

Uhm, that was what I tried to express with my proposal.

>eg:  instead of open() doing the copyin *and* the body of the work,
>we should have sys_open (or abi4_open, linux_open, etc) which do the pathname
>copyin, any args massaging etc, and then call open() with the cleaned up
>arguments.  open() shouldn't have to do copyin etc.

Exactly.

And that means that we can ditch the MPSAFE thing in the syscall.master
file, since the *_open() function will be MPSAFE nomatter what and if
open() isn't MPSAFE, then open() will grab and release GIANT.

>Finally, I really think the entire-new-syscall vector idea is sheer
>wasteful overkill.

Having looked at the number of syscalls we have to deal with I think
it is the only practically passable route.

I havn't heard any comments on the splitting of the #include files ?