Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:21:29 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        "Tortise@Paradise" <tortise@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor Mans Software raid 1 on root partition?
References:  <25f401c228d4$a3482fb0$1a01000a@area51><20020711091015.B51520@flake.decibel.org><20020711200902.3653b534.steve@sohara.org><20020713032546.GD61459@wantadilla.lemis.com><20020713075109.06ecf02f.steve@sohara.org><20020713100218.B284@twincat.vladsempire.net><20020713222745.00281f72.steve@sohara.org><20020714004247.GB16279@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20020714071524.1587f419.steve@sohara.org> <007801c22c6c$9dc32fe0$0900a8c0@P1200n>

It would be far, far better to simply do a daily backup using 'dump'.
For just a little more money than buying a whole 'nother drive, you
could buy a tape drive. Tape drives are really ideal for backups because
   you can store the media other than inside the machine you're backing
up. :-)

If you don't want a tape drive, it's still a better idea to do dumps to
another disk rather than dd. Why?

1. You can compress the output of dump.

2. You don't have to have identically partitioned disks

3. You won't get a "clean" filesystem copying it with dd. In fact, the
source filesystem may change enough over the course of the dd that the
resulting image may be completely useless.

4. You can potentially store many, many days worth of backups on the
alternate drive. This lets you restore not just last night's backup, but
potentially last *week's*.

5. You can use the 'nodump' flag (see chflags(1)) to exclude files from
the backup that are uninteresting.

Yes, doing a restore takes a little more time than simply booting the
other drive. But in practice, the likelyhood that you will really *need*
to do so is sufficiently low as to not be worthwhile, IMHO.

The only reason to consider software raid for a truly mission critical
application is if you've got a really large dataset in an external box
that you can move from one machine to another if you need to get back up
quickly. In that circumstance, presumably the contents of the system
disk of the machine don't matter, meaning that the application would
come back on line simply by moving the disk to another machine and
restarting it. If that's unreasonable, then the whole machine requires
RAID (among other things), which means you'll be getting a hardware RAID.

But don't ever forget that RAID won't help you if you accidently do an
rm -rf / as root. :-) Data integrity is NOT a substitute for good backups.