Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:49:37 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Aflatoon Aflatooni <aaflatooni@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Whic mail server?

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 06:01:22AM -0700, Aflatoon Aflatooni wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running a server that is acting as the mail server for only internal
> users (about 50 users). Currently we are running Sendmail, but reading on
> other discussions I noticed that qmail and other programs are suggested.
> I am wondering if qmail is thought to be better than sendmail. Is there
> a matrix of features and functionalities that would compare the different
> mail servers?

No, sendmail is as good or better, especially in a situation such
as you describe.    Some people believe that sendmail can be hard
to configure, and it is a little arcane to do it directly in the
sendmail.cf file.  But there are things that help nowdays.  Anyway,
if you already have it configured and working your are past
that already.   Most of the things these others complain about
being to complicated are more exotic and special-cased stuff.
Then they become religious zealots about their favorites.

> Any suggestions on spam filters like spam-assassin?

Learn to use procmail.

////jerry